11 May 2011

From a serial writer's diary ...

I'm working on two very different projects right now, both historical, but from totally different periods and genres. One is a thriller, the other a romance with a story that will cover at least 15-20 books when it's finished. Hopefully even more.
So I thought I'd keep sort of a diary. Not every day, I don't have the time (Unfortunately I have this addiction: I like to eat and sleep once in awhile ...).
I'm into my third book in the series (I can't reveal title or period since it's not published yet), and it's going very well indeed. This is my second series, so I now have the advantage of "having done it before" - that means I don't have to worry about being able to actually finish 15-30 books about the same characters (Oh, yes). I can always tell myself I have done it before!
Experience is good. Research is fun. Writing can be extremely slow, or I can get in the flow and just keep going until the bakery vans outside my window starts their morning deliveries. There's a tempo thing with the series, I have to write a book fast, and of course, the faster I write, the faster I get paid (which is a very good thing!). So far I have managed to keep the tempo on an average of 1000 words a day. That means I use about two months to finish a book (this includes rewriting and research). I want to finish faster, so I'm going to aim for 1500 words a day. If I do that, I can produce faster and perhaps take a week off now and then to recharge my batteries.
That's important. I need time to just read and think, and sometimes to get out of the house to buy a new washing maschine or a pint of milk - both takes time. If it wasn't for the fact that I actually need to see the people in my life once in awhile, to do some socializing or catch a movie, I'd probably just sit infront of my computer and hammer away. I have an obsessive streak in my personality (I don't play computer games for this reason. I'd never manage to produce anything if I did that. I'm saving that for the old people's home).
I do get caught up in  word counts this way. It's as if I don't get my daily quota, I can't relax. I take a sheet of paper, divide it in two, then divide that in two. I write the dates on both side of the halves (he, he), and everyday I write up the daily amount of words.
To days count? So far a big 0. (I was looking for that washing machine, actually, so I do have a valid excuse).
I have two hours of work left, so as soon as I have finished this, I'm into the book.
The thriller? It's back from the editor with a healthy dose of encouragement and feedback - that all amounts to rewriting the entire book. Again. But that's another blogpost ...
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment